As a homeowner, you know that there are a lot of things you need to keep up with in order to keep your home in tip-top shape. One of those things is your furnace. In order to keep your furnace running smoothly and efficiently, there are a few things you need to do on a regular basis. Here are the ins and outs of furnace maintenance that you need to know.
Why Is Furnace Maintenance Important?
If you’re not used to working on any of your home’s systems yourself, you might be wondering why it’s so important to maintain your furnace. The answer is simple: you need to keep your furnace well-maintained in order to keep it working properly. Like any other mechanical system, your furnace needs regular tune-ups to ensure that it’s functioning correctly.
If you don’t properly maintain your furnace, it could cause a number of problems down the line. First of all, it could end up breaking down completely. A well-maintained furnace is less likely to break down than one that is not. In addition, if you don’t properly maintain your furnace, it could end up costing you a lot of money in repairs. These repairs could be much more expensive than regular maintenance, so it’s important to make sure your furnace is running smoothly.
DIY Furnace Maintenance Checklist
If you want to do some of the furnace maintenance yourself, there are a few things you can do. Here is a DIY furnace maintenance checklist:
- Make sure all air filters are replaced on a regular basis, and if needed, replace the filter cartridges as well.
- Clean the firebox and flue regularly with an approved cleaning agent.
- Inspect the chimney for any problems or signs of wear, and fix them if necessary.
- Check the insulation in your furnace room regularly, and replace any damaged insulation as needed.
Furnace Maintenance You Should Leave to the Professionals
While some furnace maintenance tasks can be done by homeowners, there are certain tasks that should be left to the professionals. Here are a few of those tasks:
- Replacing furnace filters – This is a task that can easily be done by homeowners, but it’s important to make sure you replace the filters on a regular basis.
- Cleaning the firebox and flue – This is also a task that can be done by homeowners, but it’s important to use an approved cleaning agent.
- Replacing insulation – Homeowners should not attempt to replace insulation on their own, as this is a job for professionals only.
- Tightening of loose electrical components – Homeowners should not attempt to tighten loose electrical components on their own. Improper tightening can result in electric shock or fire.
- Lubrication of all moving parts – Homeowners should not attempt to lubricate moving parts on their own, as this could cause injury if done incorrectly. You could also put lubricant in the wrong places, which could damage your furnace.
When Should You Schedule Furnace Maintenance?
In order to keep your furnace running smoothly, you should schedule maintenance at least once a year. Many homeowners choose to schedule maintenance before the winter begins, so they know that their furnace will be ready to go when the cold weather hits.
During the maintenance visit, the technician will thoroughly inspect your furnace and clean it out. They will also oil your furnace, so it runs more smoothly. After the tune-up is complete, you should notice a difference in the way your furnace runs.
Furnace maintenance is important to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient. By following the proper steps and precautions, you can ensure that your furnace runs smoothly all winter long.
If you’re having problems with your furnace or you just want to make sure that it’s properly maintained, it’s best to call in the reliable technicians at Climate Experts. We are a Canadian-owned and operated company serving the Durham region, GTA, and surrounding areas. Whenever you need repair and maintenance work on your cooling and home heating systems, our team will be there. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.